This Page

has been moved to new address

I've been bumrushed!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Stuttering Shell: I've been bumrushed!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I've been bumrushed!

That simple statement just about sums up my experience in Philadelphia, PA. We spent an extra day in Philly in order to take the kids to a few sights including Independence Hall. We got a semi-early start to our day and proceeded to the visitor's center to get our tickets for the (free) tour. We head over to Independence Hall about 15 minutes before our tour begins in order to wait. As we were waiting in line, we were pleasantly surprised to see that our tour group also included about 40 people -- Chinese visitors from Canada (as we learned while on the tour).

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced. I'm bi-racial -- half Chinese and half Caucasian. What bothered me, however, was the fact that there were just so many of them...and they all had to be first. They were also rude...just pushing through the crowd, walking through pictures, etc. I also found it quite amusing at how interested they were in American history. I don't know, maybe it was just the heat and the fact that none of us had eaten breakfast that put me in a bad mood to start off my day. I just don't know. At any rate, the tour went off without a hitch and our half-hour in Independence Hall was very informative and the kids enjoyed themselves which surprised me.

After the tour, we decide to head to Reading Terminal Market for lunch. It was a little bit of a walk (just a few blocks) and by this time both kids were getting grouchy and neither wanted to walk. No biggie. Adam and dad just put them on their backs. We get to the market and find that it's not too crowded yet...after all, we are in downtown Philly during the work week just days before Independence Day. We walk around a bit -- buy some fruit, buy a macaroon and a couple drinks and then check out the different vendors so we get a feel of what we would like to eat. Everyone gets something except for me. I have my heart set on a cheesesteak. I leave the table with a $20 in my hand...I turn the corner and what do I see?? A line. A line at the cheesesteak counter. A line full of Chinese people. I'm not waiting in the line. No way. I'm too damn hungry and too impatient.

I kind of feel like a traitor for being so irritated about a group of people. It's not that they ruined my day...it was just that they were everywhere I wanted to be. Everywhere.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

comments from you make me smile!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home